Monday, June 22, 2009

school and stuff

I got back from Wyoming on Saturday-I wasn't supposed to come home until Sunday, but I got a call on Friday night from my mom telling me I had to come home because the carpet people were coming on Monday and we had to pull up all the old carpet. So since I'm such a wonderful daughter, I acquiesced to my mother's demands and rushed home, only to not really help at all with the carpet removal. Actually, that's not true, I swept up some nasty dirt that was underneath the padding.

The carpet people are here right now and just discovered that the carpet they had shipped in from the warehouse in Georgia is two feet too short. Apparently whoever measured did a crap job. We best be getting a nice discount.

Classes started up again today. My schedule kinda sucks. I have class from 8-9:50, 10-12:30 and 1-2:50. It was a really long day. I like my classes, though. I'm taking:
  • New Testament-This class is actually being taught by a guy who's working on his PhD in Archeology, so it's a lot more historically based than feel-good, fluff stories, which I really, really like. Today he mentioned how after the Maccabean Revolt, one Hasmonean King had 800 men crucified, had their wives and children killed in front of them while they were hanging on the crosses, and then celebrated it all by having a feast with his prostitutes. Or something like that. My notes are a little sketchy.
  • Temporal Welfare-Basically a class on being self-reliant and not being materialistic. So pretty much skills I don't have.
  • Clothing the Family-This class is about concepts and theories in clothing, fashion and consumer behavior. "The Devil Wears Prada" was mentioned several times in class today and one of the assignments is to take a shopping trip to two different kinds of store and compare clothing. Good times.
Oh, and also, I'm trying really hard this term to be friendly instead of just sitting on the back row, rolling my eyes. So pretty much congratulations to me. Plus, just in case you wanted to know, HALF of my Temporal Welfare class is pregnant. I kid you not. Granted, there are only 10 of us, but still. HALF!

No comments: