Tuesday, July 7, 2009

stinkin' thinkin'

For one of my classes, we're reading the book "Bonds That Make Us Free" by C. Terry Warner. It's basically a self-help book and why we're reading it for this class, I have no idea. Other than that, it's pretty good. There was one particular part in a reading we did last week that I liked. It says (and I'm taking parts from a couple different pages here):
  • We've all known a teenage beauty who's convinced she is hideous. . . . The beauty would never have suspected herself hideous if she had not made her appearance a major issue by wishing to be gorgeous. . . . these people would never have imagined the possibility of their monstrousness if they had never tried to prove themselves impressive. . . . as self-betrayers we project an image of a deserving, worthwhile person, and then we struggle constantly to produce evidence that we're measuring up to that image. . . . We have little conception of how worthwhile we are because we are working so hard to prove how worthwhile we are!
I guess I just liked this because it talks about how through our own messed up expectations, we set ourselves up to be disappointed in ourselves. I'm trying to work really hard on not having ludicrous expectations for myself and just accepting myself as I am. So yeah, that's about it.

No comments: