Wednesday, December 22, 2010

double standard

I was listening to the song "Callin' Baton Rouge" by Garth Brooks the other day and for some random reason it struck me how if it were a girl singing the song, the message would be completely different. One of the lyrics is "stoppin' every hundred miles callin' Baton Rouge." Now when a guy does that, it's just as sweet and tender as can be because he's just oh, so in love with this girl. If a girl were to do that, though, it would mean she's a stalker. And then there's the line "And it won't be long until I'm with you all the time, But until then I'll spend my money up right down to my last dime callin' Baton Rouge." Telling someone that it won't be long until you're with them all the time is a little creepy to me. I feel like it should be followed by "because I'm a psycho who's going to break your ankles like Kathy Bates in Misery so that you can't escape me." And if you're just about out of money, then you should probably go ahead and stop calling me.

4 comments:

Traci said...

Missy...oh no you diddunt. This was like a dagger to my little Garth-lovin'-heart. And I love that song! Double Dagger. The pain is killing me.

Kim said...

Well . . . I think my work here is done!!!

Anonymous said...

Well...I got to see that live...in Nashville before Christmas and didn't get creeped out! *Erin

Anonymous said...

Just goes to show that women are just 1 or 2 phones call away from being full-on stalkers. :-D