Wednesday, July 16, 2008

one of the best pics ever

I never really have any pictures to post, so I decided to post some from back in the day. This is probably one of my favorite pictures of all time. It's my Grandpa Kull, trying to light a cigarette. Every other year we used to have a Kull family reunion at the beach in Emerald Isle, North Carolina. My Grandpa and all the other guys were big into fishing (when he died, he was cremated and some of his ashes were put into fishing lures for some of the men in the family) so a lot of time was spent at the pier. This particular evening was a bit windy, thus the lighting of the cigarette in the trash can.


On a side note, those trips are some of my best memories growing up. I love the ocean, particularly the Atlantic. There's a huge difference between the Atlantic and the Pacific, namely that the Atlantic is the shiz and the Pacific sucks. Anyhoo, if I can't fall asleep, I picture the ocean and I swear to you, I can hear it. Hearing the ocean isn't the same as hearing voices, right? There is nothing in the entire world like the smell, sound and sight of the ocean. For a long time growing up I wanted to be a Marine Biologist and study sharks. Then I realized I have a tendency to burn immediately upon stepping into the sun (I'm kinda like a vampire) and so being on a boat in the middle of the ocean might not be the best career choice for me. I did keep reading about sharks though, and as a result I don't like to actually go into the ocean. Or lakes. Pretty much any water where I can't see what's nibbling at my toes freaks me out. But I do still love to just sit and watch the waves.

No comments: