Sunday, August 10, 2008

I heart the Olympics!

I'm so excited it has finally arrived! I don't really get into the Winter games, but I love Summer! The Opening Ceremonies, while a bit long, were spectacular, and I'll admit it, I got slightly teary-eyed at several points during the show. I've always had this fascination with China and I'm so excited that they finally get to show the world what they can do. Now that's not to say that everything about China is perfect (i.e. the government), but for the regular, everyday person, I'm happy that they get a chance to shine. They've been through so much during history, and it seems like things are (hopefully) getting better for everyone. BTW, if you familiar with Chinese history, especially regarding women, you should read "Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China", "Red Azalea", "Life and Death in Shanghai", or if you prefer fiction, pretty much any Amy Tan books, and "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan". Also, the book "Wuhu Diary" by Emily Prager is an awesome book about a woman who takes her adopted daughter back to China. It focuses more on what China is like now. If you or anyone you know has adopted a child from China, this book is a must read.

O.k., I got a little sidetracked there! Back to the Olympics! So here's what I'm looking forward to during the Games: Michael Phelps, Dara Torres, gymnastics, track and field, Michael Phelps, diving, beach volleyball, tennis, and Michael Phelps.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Um...Kim you forgot to mention Kung Fu Panda...that has a unique perspective into the Chinese culture...