Thursday, August 21, 2008

Update from Cusco

We've been hiking all over the Incan ruins around Cusco. Yesterday, among other places, we went to Sacsayhuaman, which is (kinda) pronounced Sexy Woman. Today we went to several places including Tipon, which was absolutely amazing. It's agricultural terraces way up on the side of a mountain. I'll try to upload some pictures later.

We did a little bit of shopping today-at most of the sites there are women who dress up in traditional Peruvian costumes and sell handicraft stuff. You're supposed to bargain, but I felt bad because everything was already so cheap and the people are so poor. So I did bargain, but not a ton. Anyway, for around $30 I got 6 pairs of earrings, 6 ceramic bowls, 2 bracelets, a necklace, and a little whistle for my niece. As we all know, I enjoy shopping, and I have to say, it's a whole lot more fun when things are really cheap.

One thing I'm noticing is that they put the English translation on the restaurant menus, but they apparently don't speak English very well. For example, tonight for dinner I had baked piglet, and my mom had trout from river to grill. It's kind of fun to read the menus!

More later . . .

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Are you back yet?

Marianne said...

"baked piglet"...ew! :P I'm so glad you're having a good time. I can't wait until you can get the pictures online!