Tuesday, October 21, 2008

lame-o!

Gloria Steinem and Billie Jean King were on Oprah last week along with Maria Shriver, who I think looks like an alien. I absolutely love Billie Jean King. Awhile ago I listened to a lecture she gave about Title IX and it was awesome. Gloria Steinem, on the other hand, irritated me a little bit on the show. She kept talking about how all the work she's done for women's rights has been about giving women options. It was all about options and having a choice. But then she started talking about how it still isn't equal yet because more women are staying home to raise kids than men are. K, Gloria, but I thought it was all about options. Women's rights shouldn't be about forcing half of the women in the country to go to work while half of the men stay home. That's not really giving them options, now is it? The beauty of women's rights is that women can now CHOOSE whether to stay home with the kiddos or go to work. (and also voting and all that other crap) It just bugged me that she kept going on about options and women having a choice, but then essentially said that the women who stayed home while their husbands worked made the wrong choice. See when you give someone a choice, you can't then make little of the way they chose just because it isn't what you would have done. I'll get off my soapbox now . . . thanks for letting me vent!

No comments: