Tuesday, September 2, 2008

laziness

I've been back from Peru for a while now and as you may have noticed, there haven't been any more posts yet. The thing is, I didn't take a camera with me because I knew my dad and aunt would take more pictures than I could ever possibly want, and so in order to have pictures to blog about, I have to get the pictures from them. And that takes effort. To keep you interested, here's a little list of what's to come:

  • A full body picture of the ugliest dog in Peru.
  • The tale of our return flight home that was delayed like four hours.
  • Lots of pictures of poor people-this will probably make me sound stupid, but I didn't realize that Peru is considered a third-world country. I figured second-world (is there such a thing?), but I definitely didn't realize how poor people are there. It was fairly eye-opening.
  • A comprehensive list of all of my purchases and how little they cost.
  • Machu Picchu-pictures do not do it justice and they don't show how huge it is. I'll post pictures, but you won't get the wow factor like when you're actually there. If you ever have a chance to go, take advantage.
  • Interesting culinary delights including cuy (guinea pig) and chicha morada (a drink made from purple corn).
  • We stayed in one really cheap hotel that had a hole in the wall of the bathroom instead of a fan for ventilation.
  • I saw lots of breasteses. Peruvian women think nothing of nursing in public and make very little effort to cover themselves.
So there's lots of fun stuff to come. I will say right now, though, that we are all beyond lucky to live in the U.S. I am so glad to be back. Not that I didn't enjoy the trip, because I'm really glad I went, but it's nice to be back where it's clean, you don't fear for your life driving down the street (for the most part!), and there aren't SWAT teams on every corner.

Oh, and one more thing-the new semester starts tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have some more fun BYU stories to tell.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

YAY! I'm excited to see the pics and hear all about it...I really don't mind traveling vicariously. :)

Good luck this semester!