Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mexican Tomato Lime Soup

I stole this recipe from one of the blogs I read, but I don't remember which one, so apologies to whomever I just ripped off. This soup is great. You should make it for dinner tonight.

1/4 stick of butter
1 lg. onion, loosely chopped
5 (ish) cloves of garlic, loosely minced
1 T. Oregano flakes
2-3 tsp. cumin
8-10 tomatoes
2-3 tsp. salt
5 cubes of vegetable bullion
8 c. water
1/8-1/4 c. fresh lime juice
Chopped, fresh cilantro
2-3 avocados
Monterey jack cheese, shredded
Tortilla chips

Saute the onions, garlic, oregano and cumin in a big soup pot. While they're cooking, cut the tomatoes into big chunks. Add tomatoes and salt to soup pot and stir. The salt helps the tomatoes "melt," which takes about 10 minutes. You can also add the bullion cubes now to start them disintegrating. Then, when the tomatoes are cooked, add the water. Let cook. Right before serving, add cilantro and the lime juice. (If you add the lime juice too soon it will lose it's flavor.)

Serve with diced avocados, cheese and crumbled tortilla chips.

*****I added shredded chicken breasts, and extra cumin and salt. Also, the butter was fine, but next time I'll use olive oil for the flavor and healthiness. ('cause I'm all about healthiness, don't ya know!) I also used chicken flavored bullion cubes because I didn't have vegetable.

No comments: