Saturday, November 22, 2008

thoughts

I was watching tv earlier and saw two commercials that kinda bugged me. The first one was for UNICEF, which is a wonderful organization. However, this commercial basically consisted of beautiful people (celebrities) talking about or holding up photos of beautiful children. Are there no ugly starving children? Or do we just not help them? Do you think there are people out there who send their donation in, get their little letter and picture and when they see the child isn't cute, send it back and ask for another one? Like "Sorry, this child has a cleft palate. Don't you have a cute little kid whose picture I can stick on the fridge so I can feel good about my $20 donation?"

The next commercial was for something fabulous I'm sure, but I was too distracted by the fact that it was about a woman who not only does the Iditarod dog race, but is also blind. That's wonderful and she deserves all the praise in the world, but honestly, I'm pretty below-average in achievements and I don't need it rubbed in my face. My achievements are usually things like bathing and leaving the house on days when I don't have school/work. And if I'm completely honest, other than Sundays, that pretty much never happens. So really, if you want me to purchase your product or inspire me in some way, you should probably lower the bar. Like way lower the bar.

No comments: