Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Bulgogi Beef

I love this stuff. I always get it at Dew in Provo, and I finally decided to try to make my own. It was delicious. I may never have to go back to Dew again.

Bulgogi Beef

1/4 c. soy sauce
3 T. sugar
1 T. vegetable oil
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
3 med garlic cloves
3 chopped green onions (including green parts)
2 lbs. sirloin

Slice the sirloin, against the grain, as thinly as possible. If you have a meat slicer you might want to try that, on the thinnest setting. Otherwise, just try to kind of shave off as thin a slice as possible. (This will take a while.) Mix together all the other ingredients and marinate the beef in it for at least half an hour. If you have a special Korean BBQ grill, use that to cook, otherwise, just pan fry with a little bit of sesame oil. Only cook a little bit of beef at a time, though, so you can keep your eye on it. You just want to cook it barely enough to be done, otherwise it'll be tough. Do NOT overcook it!!! You do not want to be eating shoe leather! (Unless you're my brother, and then actually, yes, you kinda do.) You can keep the cooked stuff warm in a bowl with foil over it while you cook the rest. Serve it with rice (preferably jasmine) and if you have any taste at all, tons of Kimchi (Found in the refrigerated area of the produce section. Not all stores carry it. Harmon's does. Smith's doesn't. I think Albertson's might.)

Special Kim directions: I added a little ginger to the marinade as well. I buy the already pulverized, in-the-jar kind. I used about a spoonful and a half, but I had doubled the recipe, so just do it to taste. I also used extra garlic and green onions. I ended up doing two batches of this stuff because the first was so stinkin' good. The second was even better because I sliced the beef way more thin and I marinated it for a couple hours longer. I also didn't bother to toast the sesame seeds with the first batch, but I would highly recommend that you go ahead and do that if you're going to try this recipe. It makes a difference.

No comments: