Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I'm really not a mean person

I just realized that my last couple of posts sounded kind of mean and nasty. I'm really not a horrible person, I swear! I may be just a teensy-tiny-itty-bit judgmental though. Just a lil' bit. It's just because I'm very observant. I don't think most people notice all the things that I do. It is my gift and my curse. It isn't just bad/mean things that I notice. I also have an uncanny ability to spot abnormalities on the ceiling and walls of a room, whether it be a cobweb, a flaw in the paint, or just a weird shadow. I always see these things out of the corner of my eye and I can't get it out of my mind until I go check to make sure it isn't a spider. Very weird, I know. Anyway, that wasn't the point of this post. The point of this post is that through my observational prowess, I have spotted more things at BYU that make me go hmmmmm. Not hmmmmm in a bad way, just hmmmmm, interesting. I'm going to give you a list now because I like lists. I'm telling you this just in case you are completely unobservant and haven't noticed yet.
  • There is a married couple in my Marriage Prep class. Why they're in this class and not Marriage Enhancement, I'm not really sure. You don't take a birthing class after you have the baby, right? Whatever. My observation is that they push their desks together so they can sit closer to each other. I don't really understand this. As the classroom is set up, the desks are pretty close together already. Can they really not last 50 minutes of being a couple feet away from each other? If they sat in the very back of the class this wouldn't be that noticeable, but they sit in the middle, so anyone who wants to sit behind them on that row has to climb over desks to get to their seat.
  • Also in my Marriage Prep class are two girls who are the epitome of the snobby girls in high school. They talk all through class. When people make comments they look at each other and roll their eyes or make faces. They wear clothes that are supposed to be trendy and cool, but instead make them look like a bag-woman, ala Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. We had to get into groups and come up with ten things single people can do to try to get married and I kid you not, one of them said "wear skanky clothes," and the other said "get a make-over if you need one."
  • It seems like all the students have magically gotten rich since the last time I went to BYU. Almost everyone is dressed very nicely and in trendy clothes. The married students seem to have larger diamonds. Everyone listens to iPods as they walk to class. Maybe I'm having selective memory issues, but it seems like the last time around we were all poor. The pregnant girls would wear their husband's button-front shirts so they didn't have to buy maternity clothes. Our wardrobes consisted of pajama pants, jeans, and t-shirts. Now I always see girls in cute, little dresses and high heels. Why are you wearing high heels to walk around campus? All the clothes also seem to have gotten tighter and there's less clothing in general. I don't think these girls realize that when they sit down, their skirts ride halfway up their thighs. Pretty sure garments won't work with those ensembles. I'm also noticing lots of spaghetti strap tops and dresses that are worn with a little shrug-type jacket over them. I'm glad they're wearing something over them, but the shrugs always seem to be falling open. I totally sound like an old person, don't I? Kids these days . . . Seriously, though-the Honor Code hasn't changed, the length of garments hasn't changed, the Brethren haven't changed their stance on wearing modest clothing, so why are all these girls dressing like this? In a way it makes me kinda sad-do they think that they need to show skin to get a date? Are they all that insecure that they think no one will like them if they don't dress like Britney Spears? As Mormons, and especially as Mormons at BYU, you wouldn't think this would be an issue. What does this say about us as a Mormon society that this is now acceptable? I'm just puzzled by it.
Alright, well this is far too long and I have to go write a paper about why I want to get married. I'm assuming that wanting to get some isn't an acceptable answer, so I better go think on it. :) Just kidding about that last comment. Not really.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Again, Kim...I love you(You might guess that I commented on a more recent post first.) If it helps you feel any better, we're finally done with school and neither Ryan nor I have an iPod...yeah, we're still poor.

And I feel so bad for those girls in your Marriage Prep class. It seems like they've missed the boat by quite a long ways. Hopefully they'll figure things out and get back on soon.