Sunday, September 7, 2008

Now don't you worry . . .

I haven't abandoned you, my lovely blog readers, I've just been busy and/or lazy. I am currently going through all of my Dad's pictures of Peru, and then I need to get my Aunt's pics, then you will get more blog posts than you could ever possibly want.

Until then, let me tell you a little bit about school. I miss Spring/Summer. There are about 92 million people on campus now and I think about 89.7 million of them are Freshmen because they don't know where they're going or what they're doing. I am not a person who slowly meanders along. I know where I am going, I take the most direct route to get there, and I walk briskly. Please do not suddenly leap into my path because I will keep going and you will need to leap right back out of my way. You know how some people, if another person is approaching them from the opposite direction, will do that thing where you shift side to side, trying to figure out who is moving which way to avoid a collision? Yeah, I don't do that. I just keep going.

Although I miss the emptiness of Spring/Summer, it is so very, very nice to have classes that go at a normal pace again. 50 minutes is so much better than 2 1/2 hours. The classes I'm taking this semester are:
  • Adult Development & Aging, which is taught by a 12 year old. Or maybe he just looks that old. I'm not really sure. I am pretty sure, though, that his brother is in my ward and his nephew is in my Primary class. I haven't worked up the courage to go ask him if this is true or not, but I think it is.
  • Research Methods, which, hallelujah, is not all about writing papers.
  • New Testament, which just so happens to be taught by one of my former Seminary teachers. I had this guy my Senior year, and we may have actually studied the New Testament that year. I'm not sure. Those of you who went to OHS, I will give you one clue as to who it is-kimchi.
  • Marriage Prep. My major requires me to take either Marriage Prep or Marriage Enhancement. I really like my professor for this class. She is Korean and was a little homeless, street urchin until she was found by a little old lady who took her to an orphanage. She eventually ended up in the U.S.
  • Family Finance, which seems like it would be a boring class, but it's actually not that bad. The teacher is pretty funny and I like math. Wanna know why I like math? Because the answer is either right or wrong. None of those nasty gray areas like in so many other subjects. Of course this means I can't BS my way through the assignments like I do with all my other classes, but that's o.k.
  • And last, but not least, Food Preparation! I love this class! The recipes we're using for the whole semester are already posted, and we're making way better stuff than in junior high or high school. No English Muffins pizzas in this class!
I have also started my job, and even though I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing, it's pretty cool. It's just been training so far, but we have our first victim/volunteer tomorrow. Right now all we're doing is running an EEG on them and having them go through a series of pictures and picking out which ones have a certain shape. The EEG is kind of a pain because the little electrodes have to be on your skin to work, but it goes on the head. It's not too bad with guys, but girls with thick, long hair take FOREVER!

If you've never seen an EEG, here's what it looks like, only ours doesn't have quite as many little thingers:

No comments: