Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Haven Kimmel

One of my favorite non-fiction writers is Haven Kimmel. She's written several novels, but it's her two memoirs that are friggin' awesome. If you haven't read them, I would highly suggest that you do so. I'm currently rereading She Got Up Off the Couch and Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana. (BTW, does anyone know how to underline in Blogger? It always bugs me when I can't underline a title. Yes, I am that anal.) Here's a little quote from the book that made me laugh. This is Haven talking about her sister:
  • "Melinda was pretty without meaning to be and without trying. She just couldn't help it. Her hair was blue-black and her eyes were gray-green with long black lashes and she had the sweetest smile in the world. Never mind that she was made of pure Satan . . . " (Pg. 50)
I love it. Go get these two books. You won't regret it, I promise.

No comments: